Okra Dish With Chickpeas Recipe
People who have freezed or canned okra in summer can enjoy them all year long when fresh okra is no longer available in grocery stores. I'm glad to say I'm one of them! It's such a pleasure to cook using the ingredients prepared from summer. Since most of them are half-cooked, the preparation time greatly reduces. The okra or green beans are all washed, sorted and half-cooked for example, which saves a lot of time. It might be quite a hassle in the summer to make all these preparations but believe me; when it's winter time and you come home back from work and prepare the dinner in no time getting help from your canned or freezed goods, you realize it's totally worth it!
- 500 gr okra,
- 2 cups boiled chickpeas,
- 1 onion,
- 1 tomato,
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste,
- 2 teaspoons paprika,
- 1/4 cup olive oil,
- Finely chop the onion and sauté in heated olive oil until translucent,
- Add the tomato paste and stir for 2-3 mins,
- Add the paprika and stir,
- Add the diced tomatoes and cook until they soften,
- Add the okra and stir carefully without mashing, put the lid on and cook over low heat until the okra changes color,
- Now add enough hot water to submerge okra and cook over low heat until the okra softens,
- Add the cooked chickpeas and salt, boil for 5 mins and remove from heat.