Muhammara is kind of a meze. Firt I should explain the term meze I think. Meze is a food category in Turkish cuisine. It consists of severel dishes. The dishes are generally salad like snacks. But just cheese, melon and watermalon can also be meze in some cases. Most of the mezes can be spreaded on bread or in Turkish style you can dip bread into them.
Mezes are generally consumed together with rakı (a turkish alcoholic drink), but it’s not a must. You can also prepare mezes to eat with tea. You can make muhammara for breakfast for example. It goes well with Turkish cheese and tea.
For the recipe you can roast red pepper yourself or just use canned ones. The type of bread is not so impartant but multigrain breads would not be so good I think and the best option is standard white bread.
Enjoy the recipe…
- 1 roasted red pepper,
- 1 cup of shredded bread,
- 1 cup of walnuts,
- 1 clove of garlic,
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste,
- 4 tablespoons olive oil,
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice,
- 1 teaspoon cumin,
- Chopped parsley, extra olive oil and walnuts for topping.
- Take the walnuts into a food processor and pulse finely,
- Add bread and pulse finely,
- Add roasted pepper, garlic, tomato paste, olive oil, lemon juice, cumin, and salt and pulse until you reach a paste consistency,
- Take into a serving plate,
- Pour olive oil on top and sprinkle with chopped walnuts and parsley.