Falafel is the famous chickpeas patties of Lebanese cuisine. It is actually a street food. They are generally served wrapped in lavash.
You can prepare the falafel patties round or flat. I recommend you to heat the oil in a narrow saucepan, not in a wide pan, so that it is easy to cook when you make a round. In this way, the falafels will be buried in the oil and will not loose their shapes.
In treaditional falafel recipe the chickpeas are just soaked in water overnight, they are not boiled. But if you don't have time ypu can just boil unsoaked chikpeas for 10 mins. in a pressure cooker. It is very important that the chickpeas are not overcooked so that they do not scatter. In addition, you need to knead the mixture very well. You should knead the mixture like çiğ köfte. The oil must be very well heated, otherwise it will both absorb a lot of oil and dissolve. The falafels should start to cook as soon as they get into the oil.
Enjoy the recipe...
- 2 cups of dry chickpeas,
- 1 medium size onion,
- 4 garlic cloves,
- 1 handful of chopped parsley,
- 2 tablespoons of flour,
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda,
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin,
- 1/2 teaspoon of hot pepper flakes,
- Vegetable oil for frying.
- Soak chickpeas overnight or boil 10 mins. in a pressure cooker without soaking if you don't want to wait,
- Take chickpeas, onions, garlic, parsley, salt, baking soda and spices in a food processor,
- Add flour and knead well,
- Form the mixture into small balls, about the size of a ping pong ball,
- Heat oil in a sauce pan,
- Place the falafels in hot oil and fry until golden brown.