Meatless Cig Kofte Recipe
First of all, let me tell you the legend first. It is said that cig kofte were first made by the mother of the Prophet Abraham by beating bulgur and gazelle meat with stones during the famıne. According to the legend, on the order of Nemrut that no house's chimney will smoke, food is started to be cooked without fire. This is how this recipe first invented.
From the outside it looks very simple. It looks like it will happen when you mix bulgur, tomato paste and isot. But believe me, it's impossible to catch the taste of what those franchaising cig kofte shops put in it.
It is even more impossible to try to soften raw bulgur by kneading it with tomato paste and grated tomatoes (I know from my old experiments). That's why this time I cooked the bulgur literally. I did very well not to tire myself. I almost decided that I added whatever I found at home to the interior materials.
Do not rush to eat before it gets cold, it tastes much better if you set aside in the fridge for couple of hours.
Enjoy the recipe...
- 2 cups of bulgur wheat,
- 1.5 cup of tomato puree or 3 tomatoes (grated),
- 1 onion,
- 4 cloves garlic,
- 1 cup of boiled corn,
- 1/4 cup of olive oil,
- 1/2 cup of water,
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste,
- 1 tablespoon of pepper paste,
- 1/2 cup of walnuts,
- 1/2 cup of hazelnuts,
- 1 handful of minced parsley,
- 5 tablespoon of chipotle pepper,
- 1 tablespoon of red pepper flakes,
- 1 tablespoon of allspice,
- 2 tablespoon of bread crumbs,
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice or pomegranate molasses,
- 1 tablespoon of salt.
- Rinse and drain the bulgur, and place in a pot,
- Add the tomato puree, water, olive oil and salt,
- Put the onion, garlic and corn to a food processor and whiz them up,
- Add the mixture to the bulgur mixture and mix well,
- Put the pot on low heat and cook until the bulgur absorbs all the water while stirring,
- Remove from heat and let it rest for 10 mins lid on,
- Whiz the parsley, walnuts and hazelnuts up in the food processor and add to the bulgur mixture,
- Now add the tomato and pepper pastes, lemon juice, chipotle and red pepper flakes, all spice and bread crumbs and mix very well using your hands,
- Blend the whole mixture (either using a blender or a food processor), then form into small oval shaped patties using your hands,
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours and serve with iceberg lettuce.