Coconut and Chocolate Cake Recipe
In Turkey there is a gathering activity called gün which means day. It's a kind of saving method with lots of eating. You come together with about 10-15 people. You meet every month in one's house and eat pastries, cakes, desserts and drink lots of tea and before you leave you give some money (which is agreed upon before) or some gold to the host. So, if you are the first person for example you get 15Xmoney or gold at once, use it for something and pay it back in installments in 15 months. If you are the last one, you put some money in your saving account every month and you get 15Xmoney or gold at the end of 15 months.
There are some recipes generally prepared for those güns. This cake is one of them. It's so delicious that when you make it for your gün, there is never left overs. Underneath there is a soft cake base, on top of it a delicious coconut layer finally topped with an enormous chocolate ganache.
It's also a good looking cake. However, the appearance of the cake is somewhat deceiving, it is worth noting. The sides of the cake itself are partially thinner because the cake is curved. When the coconut layer slides down on it, it looks like the cake is very thin and it has a very thick coconut layer. Don't be misleaded, it isn't. Be sure to check out the photo of the cake slice as well. You can see that the cake and coconut layers are almost of equal thickness. If you are going to make the cake, do not go into different expectations and get disappointed.
Enjoy the recipe ...
- 1 egg,
- 3 tablespoons of sugar,
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt,
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil,
- 2 tbsps of cocoa powder,
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour,
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda.
For Coconut Layer;
- 200 ml heavy cream,
- 3 tablespoons of sugar,
- 2.5 cups of grated coconut.
- 100 ml heavy cream,
- 100 g chocolate.
- Beat the eggs and sugar until they have a smooth consistency,
- Add and beat yogurt and oil,
- Add and whip cocoa and baking soda,
- Add the flour gradually and beat,
- Pour the mixture into a greased 21 cm springform pan and bake in 180 C degrees pre heated oven until the toothpick comes out clean,
- In a narrow and deep bowl, whisk the cream until it thickens,
- Add sugar and whisk until sugar melts,
- Add the whipped cream to the coconut and mix,
- Pour the mixture over the warmed cake and spread,
- Heat the heavy cream for ganache,
- Add the chocolate and mix until melted,
- Pour the ganache over the coconut layer and spread it,
- Sprinkle pistachios, hazelnuts, walnuts, etc. on top,
- Let it rest in the fridge for 2-3 hours.