I came up with this recipe in an effort to use up some stale cakes I had on hand. I don’t know about you but we can never finish an entire cake unless we have guests over, so I need to be very creative in finding a second use for them or else I just freeze them. I made these cake balls using stale chocolate cake but you can use anything you want. You can add hazelnuts, walnuts or pistachios in it. You can even substitute the coconut coating with crushed nuts. Use your imagination and turn this recipe into your own recipe. Don’t forget to let me know how it goes.
- 5-6 stale cake slices,
- 2 tablespoons butter,
- 2-3 tablespoons chocolate hazelnut spread (e.g. Nutella),
- Unsweetened shredded coconut.
- Crumble the cake slices,
- Melt the butter, pour over the crumbled cake and mix with your hands,
- Form walnut size balls out of the mixture,
- Heat the chocolate hazelnut spread over low heat to loosen,
- Dip your cake balls first into the spread then into shredded coconut using a spoon,
- Refrigerate for 20-30 mins.