Zürbiye is one of the special dishes of Afyon cuisine. In summary, it is an onion dish with meat and chickpeas. Shallots are used in making Zürbiye. It can be made using veal or lamb. But since the lamb is cooked in a shorter time, it is more suitable for the shallots to be cooked softly without falling apart.
Can Veal Be Used Instead of Lamb Meat?
If you want to use veal while making Zürbiye, it would be appropriate to pre-cook. Pre-cooking of meat dishes is usually done by simmering. However, I think that the flavor of the meat used decreases after it is simmered and then drained. For this reason, while pre-cooking, I roast the meat in a pan without oil, add water, as in the first stage of this recipe, and cook it that way. Then I add the meat to the dish along with the juice. You can do the same with the Zürbiye recipe when you use veal.
It will be enough to put the veal in a heated pressure cooker and cook it, stirring frequently, until it releases its juice and than it evaporates. Then add hot water and cook it until it softens slightly. After frying the tomato paste in oil in a separate pot, you can add the onions and stir fry for a few minutes, then add the meat with its broth and continue cooking until the onions soften.
Zürbiye resembles to papaz yahnisi recipe in that it is a dish prepared with plenty of onions and meat. The biggest difference is that zürbiye is made with tomato paste and usually chickpeas are added as well. Incidentally, it should be noted that zurbiye can be made without adding chickpeas.
What goes with it?
Since Zürbiye has a tomato paste sauce, pilav is the best accompaniment as to many recipes with tomato paste. Both bulgur pilaf and rice pilaf will suit the zurbiye. You can choose a rice recipe that suits your taste from the category of rice recipes next to it. As a salad, a green salad such as arugula salad will add more flavor to the meal.
You can prepare Zürbiye and all dishes with tomato paste one or a few days before the service and serve them by heating just before serving. There will be no negative changes in taste or consistency. You can store your leftover juicy meals in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to four to five days or freeze them for up to six months.
Enjoy the recipe...
Zürbiye Recipe with Video
- 500 g of minced lamb,
- 500 g of shallots,
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste,
- 4-5 tablespoons of olive oil,
- 1 cup of boiled chickpeas,
- 2 cups of boiling water,
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat the pressure cooker, add the meat and cook, stirring frequently, until the water is released and then evaporated,
- Add olive oil and stir fry for a few minutes,
- Add the tomato paste and stir fry until the smell is gone,
- Add the peeled shallots and mix,
- Add water, salt and pepper and mix,
- Close the lid of the pressure cooker and cook until the meat is tender according to the cooking time of your pot,
- Add chickpeas and simmer for a few mins. more,
- Add salt and pepper, mix and remove from heat.
Enjoy your meal...