Strapatsada is an easy to prepare summer dish suitable for both breakfast and lunch. It is very similar to our menu. It can even be made with or without onions like menemen. I don't know for sure, but I guess there are also discussions about whether strapatsa should be made with onions or without onions. Because I know that this discussion is not exclusive to us and menemen.
In Spain, there is a debate about whether the tortilla should be with or without onions. Just like menemen, those who love it with onions argue that it should be cooked with onions, those who love it without onions argue that it should be cooked without onions. However, it is quite meaningless to claim that those who love onions should eat it without onions just because I like it without onions. Let everyone eat how they like. It's not something that should be discussed, in my opinion.
I like menemen without onions and tortillas with onions. I also made the strapatsada with onions and garlic. Because when it is made without onions and garlic, it becomes eggs with tomatoes. I haven't eaten it for years, but when I was a kid, it was cooked occasionally at our house. My mom was not sprinkling cheese, but since it was usually made for breakfast, it would have cheese along with it. I barely remember how it tasted. That way, it's a simple dish with no big features. That's why I wanted the recipe I'm going to share to be an aromatic dish worth trying for people. Onion and garlic gave the flavor I wanted. Since I love the flavor harmony of onion and cheese, I also liked their combination with cheese.
I used plain white cheese. I don't like feta or sheep milk cheese in a broader term. If you like it, definitely use feta or any other sheep milk cheese. I am sure it will be more aromatic and tastier for those who love it.
You can eat the strapatsa with bread from the plate like menemen, or you can serve it on toasted bread slices.
Enjoy the recipe...
- 3 eggs,
- 4 tomatoes,
- 1 small onion,
- 1 clove of garlic,
- 2 tablespoons of crumbled Turkish white cheese/feta cheese,
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil,
- 1/2 teaspoon of thyme,
- Salt to taste.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan, add the chopped onion and stir fry until soft,
- Add the finely chopped or grated garlic and mix,
- Add the grated tomatoes and mix,
- Close the lid and cook for a few minutes,
- Add thyme and salt,
- Beat the eggs in a bowl,
- Add the scrambled eggs to the pan, mix and cook until you reach the desired consistency,
- Add half of the cheese, mix and remove from the heat,
- You can sprinkle the remaining cheese and chopped greens on top while serving if you wish.
Enjoy your meal...