I have a wonderful breakfast (or bruch for whom are not Turkish🙈) recipe today. We have an argument on whether the menemen is made with or without onions just like the arguments of Spaniards whether tortilla is made with or without onions.
This recipes wipes out the argument on menemen, because even if it’s so smilar to menemen instead of not using onions, peppers are not used. It’s menemen bake in the oven without peppers.
Instead, the essential ingredients of Italian cuisine, basil and parmesan comes in. I don’t know if you like this duo, but it’s one of the most delicious things in the world for me. They add a distinct flavor to pizzas, or the pesto sauce itself is a fantastic sauce. The two stars make the same effect to this recipe also.
This is the original version of the recipe but there are no laws or rules that can prevent us from using pepper in this recipe. Don’t tell this to any Italian by the way:)
My personal advice is to try it in its original version firts and then make different trials with different ingredients.
Enjoy the recipe…
- 1/2 onion,
- 3 tomatoes,
- 2 eggs,
- 5-6 leaves of fresh basil,
- 1 tbsp grated parmesan,
- 4-5 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Roast the onion with olive oil until softens,
- Add the tomatoes and roast until tender,
- Add half of the basil and the salt, mix well,
- Take the mixture into a baking dish and add the eggs,
- Cook in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees,
- Sprinkle the remaining basil over.