When you think of cold Spanish soup, gazpacho soup comes to mind without exception. Although gazgacho is the most widely known Spanish soup outside of Spain, there is another at least as common as and actually a similar cold Spanish soup; salmorejo (pronounced salmoreho).
Although the preparation method of gazpacho and salmorejo are very similar to each other, their taste is very different. While gazpacho has flavor close to Turkish coban salata, salmorejo has a more tomato-based flavor. I think it can be described as a cold tomato soup.
During the summer months, you can see both as a starter on manu del dias in Spanish restaurants. Salmorejo is usually served with jamon and boiled eggs, but sometimes it can be served with just eggs or just jamon.
Can we not use boiled eggs and jamon? As they are used in the original recipe, I am obliged to share it as it is. But if you want my personal idea, I have to say that I find it tastier without eggs and jamon. You taste the ingredients as they are, they cannot create a new flavor together which is one of the things I don't like in terms of cooking. For me, all the ingredients should loose their own flavor to create a new flavor together.
Of course, this is totally my personal preference, personal taste. There are millions who love it with eggs and jamon. But I guess you already know your own taste and guess whether you will like it or not. You can prepare salmorejo plain or with eggs and bacon in this direction.
Enjoy the recipe...
- 500 g of tomatoes,
- 1 cup of white soft bread,
- 1 clove of garlic,
- 4-5 tablespoons of olive oil,
- 1 egg,
- 1 slice of jamon.
- Divide the bread into small pieces and take it into a bowl,
- Chop the tomatoes and add into the bread pieces,
- Cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight,
- The next day, add garlic, olive oil and salt and blend it with a hand blender until it gets a smooth consistency,
- Hard boil the egg, fry the jamon and cut them into small pieces,
- Divide the soup into serving bowls, decorate with chopped egg and jamon and serve.