Today we have another Spanish recipe. It’s not Spanish actually, it’s a Catalan recipe. You can find patates bravas in all around Spain but you can find the best ones in Catalunya. For me Restaurante Carmesi in Barcelona makes the best of it.
It’s basically home made potato fries with home made ketchup and home made garlic mayoinese by the way. It’s really simple but very delicious. Especially if you use fresh ingredients you can just quit traditional ketchup and mayoinese and start to make your own.
In my recipe instead of frying the potatoes I baked them to make healthier. You can either fry or bake them.
Enjoy the recipe…
- 6 medium potatoes,
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil,
For Brava Sauce;
- 2 medium tomatoes, grated,
- Half of an onion, grated,
- 1 clove of garlic,grated,
- 1/2 tsp ground red pepper,
- 1/2 tsp sugar,
- 3 tablespoons olive oil.
For Aioli Sauce;
- 1 egg,
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice,
- 1 clove of garlic,
- 1/2 cup of olive oil,
- Peel potatoes and dice in cubes,
- Combine potatoes, oil and salt according to your taste in a deep bowl, mix well and spread into a bakimg sheet covered with parchement paper,
- Bake until golden in 190 C degrees preheated oven,
- Meanwhile, for the brava sauce, heat olive oil in a pan,
- Add into onion and garlic, sautee for 3-4 mins.,
- Add the pground pepper and stir,
- Add the grated tomatoes and cook until set,
- Pulse with a blender until smooth,
- Add salt and sugar, stir, cook for one more min. and than remove from heat,
- For the aioli sauce, take the eggs, the garlic, the lemon juice, salt and 1 tbsp olive oil in a narrow and deep bowl,
- Pulse the blender until it whitens,
- Continue to run the blender by gradually adding the remaining olive oil until the sauce is set,
- Take the potatoes on a serving tray,
- Spread the sauce over or serve beside.
Bon appetit …