Rabo de Toro (Spanish Bull's Tail) Recipe
Today I'm bringing some Spanish taste and smell to your kitchens. We have rabo de torro on the menu. Rabo de torro is the tail part o the bulls. It's one of the most delicious parts of the bull. Spaniards cook rabo de torro in different ways but the most common dish that's made with it is rabo de torro. It's cooked with vegetables and red vide and served with fried potatoes.
Italians also cook a very similar dish called ossobuco a la Milenesa. The only difference is Spaniards use red vine and Italians use white vine.
One of the important ingredient of the dish is saffron. Most of the people think that saffron is only used to give colour to the dish, but it's not true. It has a special taste and smell, so it shouldn't be excluded from the recipe easily.
Enjoy the recipe...
- 1 kg bull's tail,
- 1 onion, chopped,
- 2 carrots, chopped,
- 1 red pepper, chopped,
- 1 tomato, chopped,
- 1 garlic cloves,
- 3 bay leaves,
- 1 cup flour,
- 1/4 cup olive oil,
- 1 teaspoon sweet chilli powder,
- 1/2 cup red wine,
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron,
- 2 potatoes,
- Vegetable oil for frying.
- Cover the meat with flour,
- Heat olive oil in a pressure cooker,
- Place the meats in the oil and fry until brownish in all sides and remove into a plate,
- Add chopped onion in the same pressure cooker and cook until tender,
- Add carrots, pepper, tomato and garlic and stir,
- Add into the chilli powder and saffron, stir,
- Put the meat back in the cooker,
- Add water to cover the meat,
- Cover the lid and cook until the meat is tender,
- Open the lid and remove the meat,
- Remove the carrots to use while serving,
- Using a hand blender, pulse the broth into a smooth consistency,
- Add salt, vine and bay leaves,
- Add the meat and carrots back and cook for 5-10 mins. in mid heat,
- Meanwhile chop and fry the potatoes,
- Serve the dish together with fried potatoes.