Another Spanish recipe, yes:) Spanish cuisine is not so much different then Turkish cuisine actually. We have something called kapama which is very like paella. The logic of kapama is same as paella. We just don’t use saffron. Instead we use tomate paste and ground red pepper. The rest is the same. We generally cook it with chicken, lamb or beef.
I don’t have kapama recipe on my blog and now I have paella, my mother will kill me:) I promise I will share kapama recipe as soon as possible. Until that day you can try paella.
The most important thing in making paella is to use a paella pan. But if you don’t have one, don’t get upset, you can use a large regular pan also.
Paella can be made with chicken, rabbit, sea food or just vegetables. You can use paella rice or vermicelli. There are lots of types of paella. So it’s impossible to say, this is paella or this is not.
You can squeze lemon while eating or not. Try both and choose the most suitable for you.
Enjoy the recipe…
- 800 g chicken with bones, chopped,
- 1 cup of rice,
- 1 onion, chopped,
- 2 cloves of garlic,
- 2 artichokes,
- 1 cup of boiled peas,
- 1 grated tomato,
- 1 tsp sweet ground red pepper,
- 1 tsp saffron,
- 4-5 tablespoons olive oil,
- Take the saffron into a tiny bowl and add two or three tablespoons hot water and set aside,
- Cut the front edges of the artichokes, remove the hard outer leaves, quarter them and clean the hairy parts in the middle,
- Heat the olive oil in a paella pan or a regular large pan,
- Add into the chickens,
- Fry both side until brownish in high heat,
- Pull the chickens to one side of the pan and add the chopped onions, sautee until tender,
- Add artichokes and finely sliced garlic stir together with the chickens and cook for a few more minutes,
- Add the powdered pepper and stir,
- Add the grated tomatoes and stir,
- Add twice as much hot water to the amount of water you use when making rice with the rice you use,
- Add rice, salt and saffron (together with the water) and stir,
- Cover the lid and let it cook on a low heat,
- When the rices are about to be cooked, add peas and stir, cover the lid again
- Cook until the rice is softened and water is absorbed (if the water is not enough, add boiling water as needed)
- Remove from heat and rest 15 mins. before serving.