Asure (Noah's Pudding) Recipe
Asure is a special dessert cooked within Asure mount in Turkey. It is cooked for blessing the survival of Noah's ship. That's why it contains lots of ingredients. In my home town it is prepared with 41 different kinds of ingredients. I listed the basic ones below. But you can add any food you can find at home. All kinds of fruits, grains, nuts or even starch, cacao powder or any spices. But these kinds of foods shall be added in very very small amounts. The variety of food is important, not the amount.
All kinds of fruits, grains, nuts or even starch, cacao powder or any spices. But these kinds of foods shall be added in very very small amounts. The variety of food is important, not the amount.
It is cooked in large amounts and served to the relatives and neighbors within Asure month. These ingredients make up to 20-25 servings, but you can decrease the amounts by half and cook for less people.
How to keep it? After it comes to room temperature, you can transfer it to the fridge in a vacuumed storage box and keep for about a week.
Enjoy the recipe...
- 1 cup of barley,
- 1/4 cup of white kidney beans,
- 1/4 cup of chickpeas,
- 1 table spoon of rice,
- 1 table spoon of bulghur,
- 2 cups of sugar,
- 8 cups of water,
- 1/2 cup of hazelnuts, chopped,
- 1/2 cup of walnuts,chopped,
- 1/2 cup of almond,chopped,
- 1 cup of dry apricots, diced,
- 1 cup of peanut, chopped,
- 1 cup of raisin, washed and drained,
- 1/2 apple,diced,
- 1/2 orange, diced,
- 1 table spoon of sesame,
- 1 table spoon of honey,
- Pomegranate seeds for topping.
- Wash and drain barley, beans and chickpeas and soak overnight,
- Cook them with 4 cups of water in a pressure cookeer until the grains dissolve and starch comes out,
- Open the cooker and transfer the mixture in a large skillet,
- Add 4 cups of hot water rice, bulghur, hazelnuts, almond, apricots, peanut, raisin, apple, orange, sesame and honey,
- Cook until rice and bulghur are dissolved and the liquid set,
- Add sugar and walnuts and cook for another 5 minutes,
- Serve cold with pomegranate seeds on top.