Gluten and Sugar Free Aşure Recipe
Aşure is a traditional/religious desset prepared once in a year to celebrate Noah's survival in Turkey. People cook aşure and give to neighbours, family members and friends. This year I wanted to do something different with my aşure.
In recent years, the number of people with special nutritional requirements has increased considerably. These include those who are allergic to milk, eggs or gluten, and those who prefer not to eat refined sugar. There is no egg in the aşure. Milk is easily removable. I made a few small changes to get rid of gluten and sugar. So my aşure became suitable for many people following a special diet.
I used buckwheat instead of wheat to get rid of gluten, and I removed other ingredients such as bulgur and semolina. Buckwheat has a distinctive scent normally. Frankly I was a little worried about if the smell can be felt. But it's not felt even slightly. Don't worry.
I used honey instead of refined sugar. Even increasing the amount of dried fruits would be enough for me, but I am sure it will not be enough for many people. So I've used 2 tablespoons of honey. But this amount may change for you. For this reason, add the honey step by step and taste in every step.
You can change the other ingredients in the aşure. You can use different frutis instead of apple and orenge for example or you can use different nuts instead of hazelnuts and peanuts.
Enjoy the recipe...
- 1/2 cup of buckwheat,
- 1 tablespoon beans,
- 1 tablespoon chickpeas,
- 1 tablespoon rice,
- 1 cup raisins,
- 1 cup unsalted peanuts,
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, coarsely ground,
- 1 small orange,
- 1 apple,
- 3 dates,
- 1 dried fig,
- 1 teaspoon of coconut,
- 1 teaspoon of sesame seeds,
- Black cumin with the tip of a teaspoon
- 2-3 tablespoons of honey,
- 1/2 cup milk,
- Soak beans and chickpeas with warm water overnight,
- Next day cook the beans and chickpeas until tender,
- Take buckwheat and rice in a pot and add 1,5 lt water, cook until tender,
- Add beans and chickpeas, mix,
- Add finely chopped apples and oranges and mix (you can add grated orenge peels also if you wish),
- After the apples have softened, add the hazelnuts, peanuts, raisins, finely chopped dates and fig,
- Cook 3-4 mins. more,
- Add the milk and stir and bring to a boil,
- Add honey to taste and mix,
- Last add coconut, sesame seeds, black cumin and cinnamon and mix.