After a long break, we are together with a sourdough bread recipe. Sourdough is an endless adventure. My adventure actually lost a little bit of excitement the day I met the sourdough bazlama recipe. My husband does not enjoy any bread so much and it’s easier to make than any other sourdough recipe. But I’m making some changes in between. Walnut bread recipe is one of those changes. I wanted to share this recipe in particular to explain the method that should be followed by those who want to make bread with flavored ingredients.
Walnut is just a symbol, you can replace it with any ingredient you want. Dried tomatoes, olives, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, halloumi cheese … The important thing is when to put those ingredients. You know that sourdough bread takes time to make. If you add the ingredients too early, the ingredient will be kneaded too much and crushed. Therefore, the optimal addition time is the final kneading / folding step.
To make the bread crust thin…
I would also like to mention something about sourdough bread recipes that I may not have mentioned before. I baked sourdough bread in the oven on a tray or sometimes on the oven stone, I also place water in a container in the oven. This allows the formation of steam in the oven and you get a bread with a thin crust. If steam is not used, the crust of the bread baked for so long in the oven becomes thick and hard. This does not only apply to sourdough bread by the way. This is a trick you can use in any bread recipe.
Enjoy the recipe…
- 150 g active sourdough starter,
- 400 g standard white flour,
- 300 g cold water,
- 1 teaspoon salt,
- 3/4 cup chopped walnut.
- Mix yeast, water and flour homogeneously in a deep bowl,
- Cover with plastic wrap and rest for 30 minutes,
- Take the dough on the floured counter and sprinkle the salt over and knead and fold for 5 mins., adding flour if necessary,
- Cover it again and let it rest for 1 hour,
- Fold it 10-15 times without removing from the bowl, cover and let rest 1 hour more,
- Do the same folding process two more times with one hour apart and cover it again and lift it to the refrigerator,
- Rest for 12-24 hours and remove from the refrigerator, add walnuts and knead by folding,
- Place a clean kitchen cloth into a round and deep bowl and sprinkle with a thin layer of flour over it,
- Spread the dough on the counter in a rectangular shape,
- Fold out from the long edges,
- Roll the short edge of the roll,
- Take it between the two palms and gather it down and turn it into a smooth round shape,
- Place the dough into the bowl covered with kitchen cloth,
- Cover and rest for 3-4 hours at room temperature,
- Heat the oven to 220 degrees with the oven stone or tray inside,
- Put water into a small container suitable for the oven and place it at the bottom of the oven,
- Place the bread upside down on the hot tray or stone and place in the oven,
- After it starts to get brownish, decrease the temperature to 160 degrees and bake 30-35 min. more.