I don’t want to turn here to a sourdough recipes blog but I should have shared this recipe during Ramadan since it’s perfect for sahur. Let me warn you from the start. As you start to eat more bread after starting to make sourdough bread, you also start to eat more when you start to make bazlama. It’s cotton soft, smells amazing and tastes more than delicious.
What should be paid attention while cooking bazlama?
The heat needs to be well adjusted. The use of high heat does not allow it to cook more quickly, it only cooks the outer part and causes it to remain raw inside. Low heat leads to hardening of the outer part. The heat should be low enough not to burn and high enough to cook immediately. In my electric hob heat level is up to 9 and I usually hold it at 7.5 and raise it to 8 or lower it to 7 when necessary.
You can make the math for your own hob, but above all what you should look hile cooking is the colour changes on the bazlama. When it starts too in the bottom it starts to change colour through the top. It turns from white into a matte white. When more than half of the bazlama turns matte white it means it’s time to turn bazlama upside down.
If you want to be %100 sure that it’s cooked inside, yıu can cover the pan with a lid while cooking. When you do so you keep the heat in the pan and it makes bazlamas to cook better.
Enjoy the recipe…
- 200-210 g of active sourdough starter,
- 500 g of all purpose flour,
- 400 g of cold water,
- 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Combine starter, water and flour in a deep bowl and knead a little bit,
- Cover it with plastic wrap and let it rest for 30 minutes,
- Take the dough on the counter, sprinkle salt over and knead for 3-4 mins., put back to the bowl,
- Cover with plastic wrap and and set aside for 1 hour,
- Taking from bottom to top fold the dough 10-15 times, cover again and set aside,
- Make this folding 2 times more with 1 hour rest between each time,
- Cover the dough and set aside in the fridge for 12 hours,
- Take the dough on the counter, knead and divide into 8 equal parts, set aside for 10-15 mins.,
- Roll one of the balls into dessert plate size on the floured counter,
- Heat a non stick pan, place the dough and cook both sides until golden.