Einkorn Sourdough Bread Recipe
I have not shared a bread recipe since the bread craze we experienced during the quarantine period. Many people had already stopped consuming bread after that period. Now that we have entered a similar period again, we can continue to make bread and eat bread with a healthy recipe.
Einkorn flour is one of the super foods of the last few years in Turkey. Einkorn wheat is one the few wheat types which are genetically not changed. That's why it's accepted to of the most healty wheat types.
In my last visit to Turkey I brought einkorn flour and einkorn bulgur. I started the einkorn series with the recipe for einkorn bulgur pilav recipe. Today, we have einkorn sourdough bread recipe. If you started making sourdough starter during the quarantine period, now is the time to make a wonderful einkorn bread with that sourdough starter.
If you haven't eaten it before, let me talk a little bit about the taste of einkorn bread. Until today, I have read many things about how healthy and delicious breads made with einkorn flour are. Probably, my rising expectation due to these articles caused me a little disappointment about the taste of einkorn flour bread. In my opinion, einkorn bread does not have a very special flavor, it is like normal whole wheat bread. There is such a downside to praising things too much. These compliments raise anticipation and the first try can result in disappointment. I wish I had tasted my first einkorn bread before I heard it from anyone.
My advice to you is not to keep your expectations too high, both in terms of taste and health. Like I said, it tastes more or less like a home made whole wheat bread. Einkorn flour is a natural flour made from natural wheat yes, but ultimately it is not an elixir of immortality. Healthy eating is not something that can be attributed to a single food. Even if you prefer einkorn flour in bread consumption, you still need to limit the bread amount you eat and pay attention to what you eat.
Let's talk a little bit about the recipe. I wanted my first bread recipe with einkorn flour to be a sourdough recipe to make it truly 100% natural. If you don't have sourdough starter and you always wanted to do it but didn't dare, check out the sourdough recipe.
Enjoy the recipe...
- 240 g active sourdough (80 g sourdough + 80 g flour + 80 g water + 6-8 hours waiting time at room temperature),
- 500 g einkorn flour,
- 400 g cold water,
- 1 teaspoon salt.
- Mix active sourdough, water and flour homogeneously in a deep bowl,
- Cover it with cling film and rest for 30 minutes,
- Add salt and knead until it becomes homogeneous,
- Take the dough on the floured counter and knead and fold for 3-4 mins. adding flour when necessary,
- Take the dough back in the bowl, cover with cling film and let it rest for 1 hour,
- Fold it 10-15 times by taking it from the bottom and putting it on top without removing it from the bowl,
- Do the same folding process two more times with an hour apart,
- Take the dough into a greased 24 cm baton cake mold, sprinkle with unshelled sunflower seeds,
- Cover it, put it in the fridge and let it rest for 12-24 hours,
- Remove it from the refrigerator and let it rest for 2 hours at room temperature,
- Preheat oven to 210 degrees,
- Reduce the temperature of the oven to 180 degrees, place the bread in the oven and bake until the top is browned,
- Remove from the oven, take out of the mold and let it cool on a rack.