In this soup recipe I added some erişte (Turkish noodles) and chickpeas to the classic Turkish red lentil soup. If you can’t find erişte, you can use orzo or vermicelli instead.
You can use canned chickpeas or I have a better recommendation. You can cook chickpeas in a large amount and after draining and get cool, you can put in freezer bags and freeze the chickpeas in portions. By this way you will have ready to use chickpeas in the freezer. You can use them in soups and all kind of dishes and salads.
Enjoy the recipe…
- 1/2 cups of red lentils, washed and drained,
- 1/2 cups of eriste (Turkish noodles) or orzo,
- 1 cup boiled / canned chickpeas,
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste,
- 4-5 cup of water,
- 3-4 tablespoons vegetable oil,
- 1 pinch of fresh thyme, chopped,
- 1 pinch of dill, chopped,
- Heat the oil in a pot, add the tomato paste and roast it until it smells good,
- Add 4 cups of water and lentils and stir,
- Cover the lid half open and cook in low-medium heat until the lentils soften,
- Pulse the soap with a hand blender until smooth,
- Add water until the desired consistency,
- Add the eriste and cook until soft,
- Add chickpeas and cook for a few mins. more,
- Add salt, fresh thyme and dill, stir and remove from the heat.