Mıcırık aşı is one of those dishes that deserves a better name. Mıcırık means clumsy person in Turkish. Mıcırık aşı is an excellent recipe in terms of both taste, ease of preparation and availability of ingredients (at least for Turks). The place of dishes prepared with rice is quite wide in Turkish cuisine. While these dishes are sometimes prepared without tomato paste, as in olive oil dishes, they are sometimes cooked with tomato paste as in this recipe.
The best examples of rice with tomato paste are undoubtedly the purslane with rice, the zucchini stew with rice and the spinach stew with rice dish. The best examples of olive oil dishes are olive oil carrot stew, leeks with olive oil. In cases where we do not put the rice in the meals, it is very rare that we sit at the table without rice. If we don’t add rice to the dish we make rice pilaf and put it next to main dish. That’s why I definitely mention this in my articles about preparing a food menu. If you have a rice dish on your menu, don’t make pilav, just prepare a salad.
After saying the basic things about creating a menu, we can go back to our recipe. Mıcırık aşı is made from dried eggplants which is obtained by drying the parts taken out while the eggplant for stuffing is dried. Since I do not dry my own eggplants at home, I naturally do not have an eggplant that has been dried in this way. So, I just use standart dried eggplants prepared for dried eggplant dolma.
- 15-20 pieces of dried eggplants,
- 1 cup of rice,
- 1 onion,
- 1/2 tablespoon tomato paste,
- 1/2 tablespoon of pepper paste,
- 1 clove of garlic,
- 5-6 tablespoons of olive oil,
- 1/2 lemon juice,
For the sauce;
- 4 tbsps of olive oil,
- 1 teaspoon of paprika,
- 1 teaspoon of dried mint.
- Take the eggplants in a saucepan and add enough hot water to cover them,
- Cover and boil until they soften slightly, then strain.
- Chop them into squares,
- Heat the olive oil in a separate saucepan, add the chopped onion and stir fry until soft,
- Add the tomato and pepper paste and fry until it smells,
- Add the grated garlic and mix,
- Add 5 cups of boiling water, chopped eggplants, rice you have washed and strained and salt according to your taste,
- Cover and cook until the rice is soft (add boiling water if necessary),
- Add lemon juice, mix and remove from heat,
- For the sauce, heat the olive oil, add paprika and mint, mix and remove from the heat,
- Pour the sauce over while serving.