İzmir Gevrek Recipe
Simit is the most traditional pastry of Turkey. You can find it everywhere, literally everywhere. But it is generally in different forms, consistencies and colors. Because of this diversity there are some discussions about in which city you can find the best simit. But also there is a specific discussion in İzmir. They don't have simit but gevrek. Although the logic and the happiness it gives are the same, the production methods are different. The fermentation time of the gevrek is shorter than simit. Simit is immersed in cold molasses and gevrek is immersed in boiling molasses, so they are basically different things.
As the consistency of each city's simit is different from each other, I cannot make a generalization about the consistency of gevrek and simit. But I can do it between Ankara simidi and gevrek. Ankara simidi has a crispy crust and has an elastic structure (depending on the type of flour used) inside.
Keep in mind that the flour-water ratio may vary a lot depending on the flour you use, and determine the amount of flour according to the consistency of your dough, not the recipe. To do this, add some flour, knead and check the consistency and if necessary, add some more and add some more.
You can buy roasted sesame seeds or you can roast it yourself in the oven or pan at home.
Enjoy the recipe ...
- 2 cups of flour,
- 1 cup of warm water,
- 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast,
- 1 wiping teaspoon of salt,
- 1/2 cup water,
- 1/2 cup molasses,
- 1 cup roasted sesame seeds.
- Mix water and yeast in a mixing bowl,
- Start by stirring the flour gradually,
- Add the salt,
- Add the remaining flour gradually and knead until you obtain a soft dough,
- Cover and rest the dough for 10-15 minutes.,
- After the dough is raised, take water and molasses to a saucepan and bring to boil,
- After it starts to boil decrease the heat,
- Knead the dough again and divide it into four pieces,
- Take one piece and press it back and forth with both hands to make a strip,
- Connect and press the two ends of the strip to secure it,
- Put the gevrek in the boiling pot, boil for 10-15 seconds, and strain it from the pot and put it on a plate with sesame seeds and cover with sesame seeds,
- Prepare the remaining three pieces in the same way and place them on a tray with wax paper,
- Bake in a preheated oven at 240 degrees until golden brown.