Semolina halva is a traditional Turkish dessert which is generally cooked in religious kandil days. Its aim is to remind the importance of sharing and the happiness it gives. People cook semolina helvas or kandil simits on kandil days and give them to the neighbours or loved ones.
In Kandil days the streets smell mahlab which is a spice used in kandil simits. Because all the bakeries bakes simit in those days.
I hope you like this authentic dessert.
- 1 cup semolina,
- 1/2 cup of pine nuts,
- 3/4 cup sugar,
- 1,5 cups of hot water,
- 1 tablespoon butter,
- Grated peels of one orange.
- Melt the butter,
- Add pine nuts and sautee for a few mins.,
- Add semolina and fry steadily stirring in medium-high heat until brown,
- Decrease the heath a little, add sugar and stir fast,
- Add the water and cook stirring until the semolina absorbs all the water, remove from heat,
- Cover the lid and set aside for 15-20 mins. before serving.