Crunchy Ankara Simit Recipe
In Turkey, some foods has lots of varieties. Kofte and simit is two of them. In every city you can find different kind os kofte and simit. I like all kinds of simit as long as it is fresh. Because when it waits even overnight it dries or becomes like rubber. That's why you should eat the simits you baked in the same day.
The difference between Ankara simit and other simits is that it is crunchy outside. When you break one, before the flavor, the sound is preparing you for the great taste.
Making simit is not so hard but you have to be careful about a few points. For example, you cannot do it with the multipurpose flours you use for other pastries. The amount of protein in simit flour should be higher. You can see the amount of protein in the the flour on the nutrition table on the packs. In all purpose flours this amount is around 9-10 g, but for simit we need a flour which at least has 12 g protein.
Another important point is that the sesame seeds should be roasted. You can buy the roasted sesame seeds ready or roast them on the baking sheet, in 180-190 C degrees in the oven.
You need molasses for the colour and crunchy form. The type of molasses does not matter. You can use any that does not have a characteristic smell or taste.
Finally, you need to make the simit in high temperature. It should be baked in a short time, not to allow it to raise too much. This is also why the yeast amount is low and they are pressed firmly before baked.
Enjoy the recipe...
- 3 cups flour,
- 1,5 cup of warm water,
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast,
- 1 teaspoon of salt.
- 1 cup roasted sesame seeds,
- 1/2 cup of molasses,
- 1/2 cup water,
- 1 teaspoon of flour.
- Mix water and yeast in a deep bowl,
- Add flour part by part and start to knead,
- Add salt together with flour,
- Add flour and knead until you reach a hard dough that does not stick to your hands,
- Cover the dough with a plastic wrap and set aside for 30-45 min.,
- Knead the dough again and make 6 patties,
- Make the rags approximately 1 mt in length with a rolling pin movement,
- Roll each patty into a 1 mt length, stick the two edges together, twist and stick the edges again,
- Mix the molasses, water and flour on a wide plate,
- Cover the simits with the mixture and set aside for 20 mins.,
- In the meantime, heat the oven to 240 celcius degrees with a baking tray in,
- Cover the simits with sesame seeds, press firmly and place into the baking tray,
- Bake until golden brown.