Green Lentil Burgers Recipe
I'm sharing a delicious vegetarian recipe with you today. This is a great alternative for our good old regular meat burgers. There are a couple of things to keep in mind when making burgers from legumes.
First of all do not overcook while boiling your legume. Your burger will end up soggy if your legume is too mushy by the time you drain it. The legume needs to soften but still retain its shape. Secondly, the onion should be grated otherwise it will cause the patty to fall apart while cooking. Thirdly, the frying oil should be well heated before dropping in the patties or else the burgers will end up soaking in a lot of oil and become really heavy. Fourthly do not try to flip the burgers before the bottom is well cooked, or else they will fall apart. Finally, heat the oil over high heat to get it nice and hot, and lower it back to medium when frying the burgers. Otherwise the burgers will cook from outside too fast while the inside will still taste quite raw.
I do not want to intimidate you with this long list! These burgers are actually quite easy and straightforward to make. In fact, making burgers from legumes is not very different from making regular meat burgers since most of the points I mentioned above can be equally applied to normal meat burgers.
Just keep in mind the points I mentioned above and you will have tasty lentil burgers in your hands in no minutes. Enjoy!
Enjoy the recipe...
- 2 cups of green lentils,
- 1 egg,
- 1 small onion, grated,
- 2 tablespoons of bread crumbs,
- 1 handful finely minced parsley,
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper,
- 1 teaspoon of cumin,
- Vegetable oil to fry.
- Boil the lentils until they soften but still retain their shape,
- Whiz them up in a food processor to make a puree,
- Add the egg, bread crumbs, grated onion, minced parsley, cumin, black pepper and salt into the puree and mix well with your hands,
- Make small round patties using your hands and press to flatten them,
- Heat some vegetable oil in a skillet over high heat, then lower the heat to medium before adding the patties,
- Shallow fry on both sides.