Firik Bulgur Salad With Arugula Recipe
Firik bulgur is a food that I love very much, even though I met it late. With its slightly sooty flavor, it adds a special chef's touch to the dish it is included. Although this sooty smell and taste is somewhat suppressed by other ingredients in the rice recipe, it is clearly felt in the salad recipe.
That's why if you couldn't understand what kind of sooty smell I'm talking about although you've eaten Firik bulgur before. In the recipe for arugula Firik bulgur salad, I aimed to create a flavor mixture that bursts on the palate, born out of this contrast, by using fresh aromas to contrast this sooty flavor of Firik bulgur and ingredients to support this flavor.
I used arugula, tomato, cucumber and lemon juice as an opposite of firik bulgur in the arugula firik bulgur salad. The common point of all of them is that their flavors evoke freshness. As a supporter of Firik bulgur, I used roasted almonds and olive oil. This group has a slightly earthy aroma. When I think of soil and freshness together, the image that comes to my mind is a picnic or a day spent in nature. This salad has exactly that flavor, it leaves you with a feeling like this after you eat it.
Although not every dish, some dishes have such connotations for me. For example, çoban salata represents a beautiful summer day. And some dishes call other dishes. When you say cacık, karnıyarık and pilav comes by itself and sits next to the cacık.
What should I cook today is the biggest question in the world. In my opinion, the easiest way to find an answer to the question is to free the mind and go after such associations. For example, instead of going through elimination one by one, it may be useful to choose a keyword for yourself and remember the food and foods that that word reminds you of.
Let's try it with an ingredient that is a must in every home, for example; dry white beans. It reminds me of rice, salad, yoghurt, cacık, piyaz, meatballs, potatoes, ketchup, tomato, tomato soup, cheddar, béchamel sauce, oven dishes. A lot of food ideas came up with a single ingredient. Sometimes the lack of supplies, the choice of food in the house, etc. may create obstacles, but most of the time, because some ingredients that are already available don't come to mind, so you can't decide what to cook. A brief brainstorming can activate the decision-making process.
Enjoy the recipe...
- 1 cup of firik bulgur,
- 1 bunch large or 50 g baby arugula,
- 2 cucumbers,
- 3 tomatoes,
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped roasted almonds,
- Juice of 1/2 lemon,
- 5-6 tablespoons of olive oil,
- Wash and drain the bulgur and take it in a sauce pan,
- Add enough water to cover it, close the lid and cook on medium heat until it softens,
- Strain the bulgur in a strainer, rinse with cold water and leave to cool,
- Meanwhile, prepare the other ingredients,
- If you are going to use large arugula, chop the arugula and take it in a deep bowl,
- Peel the cucumbers, cut them into backgammon dice size and add them to the arugula,
- Chop the tomatoes and add into the salad,
- Add the bulgur and almonds,
- Drizzle olive oil, lemon juice and salt on top and mix well.