Eggplant Caponata Recipe
Today we have a recipe from Italian cuisine. Eggplant caponata is one of the favorite recipes of Sicilian cuisine. Although the name is mentioned in the Sicilian cuisine, there are different claims about its origin. One of them is that the caponata belongs to the Catalan cuisine. According to the claim, the caponata was created by the Catalan mariners around 1700s with anchovy during the sea journies. The fact that Spain and Italy are not too far from each other and that many of the dishes have been carried by mariners to different geagraphies throughout history strengthen this possibility.
Ingredients of Caponata?
Caponata has many different varieties. There are versions made by adding raisins, currants, pine nuts and capers. I also planned to add currants thinking that it would be very good, but unfortunately I could not find currants here.
You can remove celery stalks from the recipe, but do not forget that it is an ingredient that makes the dish a bit more than an ordinary eggplant dish, and you will get a more special flavor when you use it.
You can use any other vinegar instead of balsamic vinegar, but I recommend you to use balsamic vinegar.
What is balsamic vinegar?
I guess you've heard or see balsamic vinegar in salad or other recipes lately. Balsamic vinegar is now an ingredient that you can easily find in any market. But 99% of what you can easily find is not a real balsamic vinegar, but a liquid "thing" with a caramel flavor. The real balsamic vinegar is obtained by aging the reduced grape juice in wooden barrels for years. It is mainly produced in Italy, especially in the Modena region. If you have a chance to find such a balsamic vinegar, take that chance, it is a good investment.
Enjoy the recipe...
- 5 eggplants, peeled and diced,
- 1 onion, chopped,
- 1 red pepper, chopped,
- 2 celery stalks, chopped,
- 2 tomatoes, chopped,
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced,
- 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar,
- Vegetable oil.
- Heat 6-7 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a deep pan, add the onionand sautee until tender,
- Add peppers and celery stalks, cook in low heat until tender,
- Add eggplants to onions and peppers and mix,
- Cover the lid and cook in medium heat until soft,
- Add a tomatoes and stir,
- Cover the lid and cook until the tomatoes are soft and the dish reaches a good consistency,
- Add salt, pepper, garlic and oil and vinegar and remove from the heat.