Chili Con Carne Recipe
Chili con carne is one of the most well-known dishes of Mexican cuisine. Chili is a hot Mexican pepper. Chili con carne means chili with meat. Like many traditional dishes, chili con carne has many different versions and recipes. Sometimes no beans are added and just made like a sauce with ground meat for example, but this version with beans is more common.
Is Chili Con Carne Too Hot?
Chili con carne is usually served with rice. With its ingredients and serving, it is a very close and suitable dish to Turkish palate. The spicy taste may be too much for some. If you cannot eat too spicy, you can also use sweet peppers instead of hot peppers. On the other hand if it is not spicy enough for you, you can use hot chili powder instead of sweet ground pepper.
Can I Use Canned Mexican Beans?
Mexican beans are fairly common in canned version and it is more possible to have them at hand than dried beans. I am not against using canned or frozen chickpeas or beans in dishes, I even encourage their usage to speed things up in recipes where chickpeas and beans are not the only ingredient and flavoring, such as chickpea stew and dried white beans recipe. In this recipe, you can use canned mexican beans instead of boiling them yourself. Instead of 1 cup of dried beans, you can use 3 cups of canned beans. The only thing you need to be careful about is adding the beans to the dish last. Canned beans are so soft that if they are added in advance, they will disperse when cooked more. For this reason, it will be enough to add the canned beans at the end and just cook for a few minutes.
Enjoy the recipe...
- 500 g lean ground beef,
- 1 onion, chopped,
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste,
- 2 tomatoes,
- 2 chili peppers,
- 1 cup of red beans,
- 1/2 teaspoon of sweet ground chili,
- 1/4 teaspoon of cumin,
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper,
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon,
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander,
- 5-6 tablespoons of olive oil,
- 2 cups of boiling water,
- Rice, avocado, purple onion, lime for serving.
- Boil the beans in the pressure cooker until semi cooked,
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and add the onion and stir fry until soft,
- Add the ground meat and cook until changes colour,
- Add finely chopped peppers and mix,
- Add the tomato paste, mix it and stir fry until smell good,
- Add the diced tomato and cook until softens,
- Add the ground chili and mix,
- Add the water and beans and mix, cover and cook on low heat until the beans are fully soft and the consistency of the dish is set,
- Add the remaining spices and salt, mix and remove from heat,
- Serve with the rice, avocado, chopped purple onion and sliced lime.
Enjoy your meal...