Beyran Soup Recipe
Beyran soup, in the words of Gaziantep people beyran kebap, is a must eat for the tourists who visit Gaziantep for its taste and the appetizing visual feast it offers during the local chefs are preparing it. It is actually prepared as portions in copper dishes in Gaziantep restaurants. But I do not have a gas stove that can heat either the copper plate or the copper plate itself. But also I don't have an easy going personality to give up drinking beyran soup just because of that. When this is the case, I prepare the soup in a pot. I'm creating a modest fusion of my own, with Spain's delicious lambs and Japanese chili peppers (which is the hottest peppers I can find in Spain).
It is said that the best Beyran soup is made from lamb neck. Although I do not have a sensitive palate enough to notice the difference between the one made with lamb neck and other parts of the lamb, I try to follow such recommendations if I have the opportunity. If the masters say so, there is something they know.
One of the musts of Beyran soup is the lamb fat. It's not possible for me to find lamb fat here, so I make mine. I just cut off the extra fat on the lamb neck, heat it in the pan until they melt, then drain. The melted oil turns into fat when cools down.
Enjoy the recipe..
- 1 kg of lamb neck,
- 3/4 cups of rice,
- 1 tablespoon lamb fat,
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper flakes,
- 1 tablespoon of sweet ground chili,
- 3 cloves of garlic,
- 2 liters of water at room temperature,
- Salt to taste.
- Wash the neck and take it into the pressure cooker,
- Add the water and the peeled garlic and cover the lid and cook until it softens,
- Boil and drain the rice in a separate saucepan and wash with cold water, drain well
- Remove the boiled neck out of the pot, drain the broth and set aside,
- Shread the meat
- Take lamb fat into a pan,
- Sprinkle with pepper flakes and ground chili,
- Add the rice and meat,
- Take it to the stove and heat it until it sizzles on high heat,
- Add the broth and mix,
- Add salt according to your taste and bring to a boil and remove from heat.