Bezirgan Salad With Beet Leaves
This recipe has a very classic story. One day, when I saw that the beets that came with my online vegetable order had very majestic leaves, I had to evaluate them somehow. Actually, I was going to cook them, but for some reason I gave up and decided to turn them into a salad.
I wasn't sure if I could consume beet leaves raw, but I wouldn't know until I tried. I rubbed the leaves with some salt to soften them. Now it was time to decide what kind of salad I wanted. I wanted to make a more appetizer-like salad instead of a watery salad with tomatoes like çoban salata. At this point, I thought of the bezirgan salad. When I substituted parsley with beet leaves, the salad I had in my mind was complete.
To be honest, I didn't expect it to be so delicious and worth sharing, but it turned out to be a much better salad than I expected. This being the case, it was necessary to make it in a measured way and photograph it.
In the recipe, beet leaves and onions are rubbed separately. In practice, they can be rubbed together, but since their hardness is different, it is better to rub them separately until they reach the optimum consistency for a perfect result. If you think it's okay even if it's not perfect, you can rub them together. If you want to make it authentically, be careful about the amount of salt you add to both. Since salt will be added twice, it may be too salty. If you think that the salt you add to both of them will be too much, you can rub the onions and then put them in a strainer and run water through them.
Enjoy the recipe...
- 8 beet leaves,
- 1 large white onion,
- 1/2 cup of ground walnuts,
- 1 teaspoon of tomato paste,
- 1 teaspoon of pomegranate syrup,
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil,
- 1 teaspoon of sumac,
- 1 teaspoon of chili pepper,
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin,
- Finely chop the beet leaves and place them in a bowl,
- Sprinkle a little salt on them and rub them until they become soft,
- Chop the onion into cubes,
- Add salt and sumac to it, rub it gently with your fingers to soften it and add it to the beet leaves,
- Add walnuts,
- Mix tomato paste, pomegranate syrup, olive oil, chili pepper and cumin in a small bowl,
- Add the sauce to the salad and mix,
- Serve immediately.
Enjoy your meal...