There are some vegetables that are not welcomed by the majority of the society (let’s say especially in Turkey). You know, it’s eaten, but only if it’s cooked in a certain way. Cauliflower is eaten when fried, for example. Leek, in börek. Zucchini in mücver. Cabbage is also liked in sarma or as pickles. I believe that I will add another one to these two alternatives today. One of the most delicious things to do with cabbage is a decent cabbage dish. As someone who loves Kapuska. For me it is even more delicious than Kapuska.
As a person who loves cabbage in every way, I may not be objective, but I think that some mistakes made when cooking less popular vegetables in general increase the negative feelings and thoughts. When cooked with care, it is possible to make really delicious dishes from any vegetable. Well;
What should be cared when cooking vegetables?
First of all, it is necessary to make sure that the vegetables are fresh. You can’t do miracles with a withered vegetable. In the kitchen you reap what you sow. If you make soup with sour yogurt, your soup will be sour.
Secondly, the smaller you chop the vegetables, the more visually successful the result will (it will also shorten the cooking time). You cannot feel the taste of the food only when eating. Before you start to eat, you start to taste it with its appearance and smell.
The next thing to note is that the vegetables need to be cooked sufficiently. Vegetable that is not cooked enough does not give its flavor to the broth well and does not increase the consistency of the food. What comes out is not vegetable dish but pieces of vegetables floating in water.
Again, in order to avoid this, it is necessary to use as little water as possible in the vegetable dishes and to cook the vegetables in their own water (broth).
Enjoy the recipe…
- 2 soup bowls of finely chopped white cabbage,
- 2 potatoes, chopped,
- 2 carrots, chopped,
- 4 tablespoons of yogurt,
- 1 egg yolk,
- 1 tablespoon of flour,
- Juice of 1/2 lemon,
- Salt to taste,
- Dried mint,
- 4-5 tablespoons of olive oil,
- 5 cups of water at room temperature.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the carrots and sauté a few minutes.,
- Add the cabbage and mix,
- Cover the lid and simmer over low heat stirring occasionally until the cabbage softens a little bit,
- Add the potatoes and stir fry for a few minutes,
- Add 5 cups of water and mix,
- Cover and simmer over low heat until all vegetables are soft,
- Beat yogurt, lemon juice, egg yolk and flour in a separate bowl for finishing,
- Take a ladle of water from the dish and add to the dressing slowly and beat it quickly,
- Slowly add the finished season to the pan and mix it quickly,
- Stir constantly and cook until thickens,
- Remove from heat, add salt and dried mint and mix.