Today we have a recipe that can be considered as a symbol of Italian and Spanish cuisine; the turron. Foreigners call lahmacun as Turkish pizza, and I will take revenge of it now. My dear friends turron is Italian / Spanish halva:)
Actually it is a kind of candy that they give away during christmas in Spain and Italy. There are so many varieties of turron. The common feature of them is that they all contain honey and almonds. Among these varieties, I chose the version called Turron de Alicante in Spain to share this year.
It is made a bit harder / crunchy in Spain and softer in Italy. Italians also use pistachios together with almonds. The Spaniards use more almonds. Actually, this wasn’t my favorite turron type until I started searching for the Turron recipe and saw the Italian version. After seeing the consistency of the Italian version, I realized that this was the turron I was looking for all the time. It has a softness like nougat used in chocolates and it is quite compatible with roasted almonds.
If you want to prepare your treats at home for holidays and special occasions, turron is a good option. Moreover, you can store them in the refrigerator for one year if you wrap them one by one in an airtight way.
Enjoy the recipe…
- 1 cup of sugar,
- 1/2 cup honey,
- 1 egg white,
- Grated peel of 1/2 lemon,
- 250 g rpeeled raw almonds,
- 1/2 cup raw pistachios.
- Spread the almonds and pistachios on the baking tray and bake in a 190 C degrees oven until the color of the almonds starts browning,
- Beat the egg whites with with a hand mixer until stiff,
- Put the honey, sugar and lemon peels in a saucepan,
- Cook over high heat until the sugar starts to melt and then decrease the heat a little, stir continuously and cook until the sugar is completely dissolved,
- Add the mixture to the egg white slowly and whisk with a mixer,
- After the whole honey + sugar mixture is finished, continue to whisk until the mixture becomes completely homogeneous,
- Add almonds and pistachios and stir well,
- Spread the mixture in a 16 * 26 cm baking dish covered with plastic wrap,
- After it becomes to room temperature, set aside in the refrigerator for a few hours,
- Slice and serve.