Potaje de Garbanzos Recipe
Potaje de garbanzos is one of the favorite dishes of Spanish cuisine. It resembles the chickpea curry recipe both in style and in flavor, but it is also very different from it. The two most important things that make this difference are the spinach and the almond seasoning used to flavor it. Almond is a very popular product in Spain. For this reason, it has an important place in Spanish cuisine, especially in desserts. If you wonder how they thought of adding almonds to a chickpea dish, we can explain that with the abundance of almonds. Happily they did so. That almond mixture enhances the dish in terms of both taste and consistency.
The only thing in the recipe that did not fit my taste buds is the boiled eggs. Boiled eggs are not something I really like in main courses anyway. Of the dishes I have tasted so far, I like it only in Antalya piyazı . Other than that, for me there is no dish that goes well with boiled eggs.
Let me give a short list of answers for the questions you may have about the ingredients used in the recipe;
- You can use chickpeas canned or boiled and frozen. But if there is a chickpea that is slightly undercooked and has the opportunity to cook for another 5-10 minutes, it will give better results as it is also cooked for a while with its sauce. Since canned chickpeas are overcooked, this extra cooking time may cause them to disperse.
- The original recipe is made with spinach, but you can use the same amount of chard instead.
- You can use canned tomatoes instead of fresh tomatoes. While doing this, you can use 1 tomato = half cup of grated tomato formula.
- The almonds should be without unpeeled.
- Bread can be any type of bread you have. But it would be better if there are no ingredients that will affect the flavor of the dish.
- 600 g of boiled chickpeas,
- 300 g spinach.
For the sauce;
- 1 onion, chopped,
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped,
- 3 tomatoes,
- 2 bay leaves,
- 5-6 tablespoons of olive oil,
- 2 cups of boiling water,
- Salt to taste.
- 2 slices of bread,
- 7-8 almonds,
- 1 teaspoon of red sweet pepper,
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin,
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- 2 boiled eggs (optional).
- For the sauce heat olive oil in a deep pan, add onion and stir fry until softens,
- Add the chopped garlic and mix,
- Add the peeled and chopped tomatoes and bay leaves and stir fry until the tomatoes are soft,
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a separate pan to prepare its seasoning,
- Take the slices of bread in the pan and fry them on both sides,
- Add and mix the almonds and fry until they change color slightly,
- Take bread, almonds, ground pepper and cumin in a mortar and pestle set and crush them,
- Add the seasoing to the sauce and mix,
- Add salt and water and mix,
- Remove the bay leaves and blend the sauce with a hand blender until it has a smooth consistency,
- Add the chickpeas and spinach and cook until the spinach softens,
- Serve with boiled eggs if you wish.