Pickled Cabbage Stew Recipe
Cabbage kalye is one of the oldest tastes of my home town (Kırklareli which takes part in Thrace region) that is about to be forgotten. With the addition of pickled cabbage and pickle juice, you get a slightly sour taste that leaves a mark on the palate. Like any rice dish, it is possible to create a satisfying and delicious menu with yogurt or ayran (yogurt drink).
In fact, it is not uncommon to make dishes from pickles. It is possible to see very good examples prepared with different kinds of pickles especially in the Black Sea cuisine. In our version we use pickled cabbage. We also have another chicken dish called tavuk kapama which is made with rice. Lahana kalye is the pickled cabbage added version of it actually.
You can use home made or store bought pickled cabbage. If you want to use home made, you can use my pickled cabbage recipe. The most important thing to consider is the amount of salt that pickles and pickle juice contain. That's why you should adjust the salt by tasting.
Enjoy the recipe...
- 300 g chicken breast,
- 500 g pickled cabbage/sauerkraut,
- 1.5 cups of rice,
- 1 onion, chopped,
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste,
- 1 cup of pickle juice,
- 3 cups of boiling water,
- 5-6 tablespoons of olive oil,
- 1 teaspoon of paprika,
- 1 teaspoon of thyme,
- Salt to taste.
- Chop the chicken breast in cubes,
- In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil and add the chicken and cook it until it turns golden, stirring frequently,
- Add the onion and stir fry until tender,
- Add the tomato paste and fry until smells good,
- Add the pickled cabbage and mix,
- Cover the lid and cook on low heat until the cabbage softens,
- Add the washed and drained rice, pickle juice, water, salt (taking into account the salinity of the pickle juice), paprika and thyme cover the lid and cook on low heat until the rise is tender (if the rice is not cooked, add the required amount of hot water).