Many people start preparing cans of tomatoes in July. I think it is too early for canned tomatoes. Seasonal tomatoes are just starting to come out. They are both expensive and not all, perhaps most, of the tomatoes you come across in the grocery store or the supermarkets are real and seasonal tomatoes.
July is more suitable for canning fruits such as canned peach juice, canned apricot juice or plum marmalade. The most suitable period for canning tomatoes is the end of August and September. And now you started to think why are we talking about winter preparations in the roasted tomato soup recipe? I’m coming to the point, don’t worry.
Just as September is the best time for winter preparations with tomatoes, so is it for tomato recipes. As you know, you can find the best tomatoes in this month. That’s why roasted tomato soup is one of the most delicious soups you can make in this season.
Unlike the tomato soup recipe we know, roasted tomato soup is usually made with chicken broth. But of course this is not necessary. If you think you won’t like it, if you are vegan or vegetarian, or if you don’t have chicken broth on hand you can also make it with water.
When the roasted tomato soup is made with chicken broth, its flavor is quite different than the standard tomato soup. Roasted tomatoes and chicken broth both affects this. If you like soups with chicken broth, you can be sure that you will love this soup too. In addition to being very tasty, it is also a very fulling soup.
You can serve the roasted tomato soup either plain, or by flavoring it with spices such as thyme or basil.
Enjoy the recipe…
- 1 kg of tomatoes,
- 1 onion,
- 1 clove of garlic,
- 2 tablespoons of flour,
- 5-6 tablespoons of olive oil,
- 5 cups of chicken stock or water,
- Chop the tomatoes and onion coarsely, cut the garlic in half,
- Spread all of them on a baking tray and bake in a 180 C degrees preheated oven until soft,
- Heat the olive oil in a deep saucepan and add the flour, stirring constantly, and roast until smells good,
- Add and mix the roasted vegetables,
- Add the chicken stock and mix,
- Blend with a immersion blender to a smooth consistency,
- If you wish, strain it with a strainer,
- Cook 15-20 minutes on low heat.,
- Add salt, mix and remove from heat.
Enjoy your meal…