Beypazarı Kurusu Recipe
Beypazarı kurusu is a traditional snack in Beypazarı, which is close to Ankara and is also the home town of my husband. In some place there are some foods or snacks specific to that place. But generally it's just a tourist trap and people living there don't eat this food that much. But the situation of kuru is a little bit different.
You can find kuru in any house or any tea table in Beypazarı. It was once baked at homes in big stone ovens. But lately people generally buy their kuru from kuru shops.
When people were preparing it at home they used to place vine leaves under the kurus while baking. It's used probably to avoid touching them to ash. The vine leaves are not essential when you make them in an electric oven.
The features of Beypazarı kurusu is its fragrance of butter mixed with cinnamon and the impossibility to stop when you start to eat.
The reason why the Beypazari kurusu is dried is that it was made as a winter preparation and consumed during the winter. So it's a long-lasting pastry. It would not go bad for a long time but the flavor changes. So my recommended storage period is no more than two weeks at room temperature. If you want to keep it for longer, you can freeze it for 6 months.
Enjoy the recipe...
- 150 g butter,
- 1 cup of milk,
- 4-4.5 cups of flour,
- 10 g of instant yeast,
- 1 teaspoon salt,
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Melt the butter in a sauce bowl,
- Add the milk and stir,
- Make sure it is warm, add the yeast and mix,
- Begin to knead by slowly adding flour,
- After adding half of the flour, add salt and cinnamon and keep kneading,
- Add the remaining flour part by part and knead until you obtain a hard dough that doesn't stick to hands,
- Cover and rest 30 min.,
- Take a mandarin-sized piece from the dough and roll into a 50-60 cm stick,
- Cut into small pieces and place into a baking tray (no need to grease or use wax paper),
- Set aside for 10-15 min. then cook in a preheated oven at 170 ° C until lightly golden,
- Remove from the oven and let them cool down,
- Bake again in a 100°C oven until it is completely dry (for 30-45 minutes).