One of the hidden flavors of Turkish cuisine is quince dolma. Dolma means stuffed by the way and it’s a food category in Turkish cuisine. The most popular dolmas are pepper dolma, eggplant dolma and zucchini dolma. I don’t know if it sounds a little crazy in the first place or if it’s a lot more tedious than many other dolmas, but quince dolma is not so popular. But it’s really delicious. The savory taste of stuffing is combined with the sweet and sour taste of quince and it gains a fantastic smell and flavor.
But it’s a little bit hard to carve them as they are firm. You may think of boiling them first but it doesn’t work well. If you boil them first and cook some more after filling them, they overcook and when it is overcooked they break apart.
Can Quince Be Freezed?
You can freeze all fruits including quince, but you can not eat them raw after thawing. But you can cook them frozen. All you need to do is start baking directly without thawing the frozen fruits. For quince dolma, you can carve and freeze the quinces, fill the stuffing when you decide to cook and cook them immediately.
Not to mention a final point. The color of the stuffing in the stuffing is a little darker than usual. The reason is I used purple onions. Don’t worry if the colour of yours are different. Remember that the result will always change according to the ingredients used.
Enjoy the recipe…
- 6 quince,
- 1 cup rice,
- 1 large onion, chopped,
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste,
- 5-6 tablespoons of oil,
- 1 teaspoon ground sweet chilli pepper,
- 1 teaspoon dried mint,
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon,
- 4-5 tbsps olive oil,
- 1 cup of water.
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil,
- 1 heaping teaspoon of tomato paste,
- 3 cups of water,
- Heat oil in a large pan, add onions and sautée until softens,
- Add the tomato paste and sautée until smells good,
- Add chilli pepper and stir,
- Add the rice and stir fry for a minute,
- Add the water and salt, stir and cook until the rice absorbs all the water,
- Add mint and cinnamon, stir and remove from heat,
- Cut a piece from the stalk side of the quinces and set them aside,
- Carve the inside of the quinces and fill with rice stuffing,
- Cover with the cut pieces and place them in a suitable sized pot,
- Heat the oil in a sauce pan for the sauce, add the tomato paste and stir fry until smells good,
- Add water and salt, stir and remove from heat,
- Add the sauce to pot and cook until the quinces soften with the lid covered.