This summer I wanted to share a cold granita recipe in addition to ice cream, sorbet and frozen. Granita is one of the favorite flavors of Italian cuisine. Although the original ones are made with lemon and almonds, there are different versions made with many different fruits. I wanted to try it with melon. Especially the orange melon I chose gave me a better result in terms of both taste and color than I expected. Keep in mind that the color of your granita will change according to the melon you use.
There are only two ingredients in the recipe. What can go wrong? You can find it too sweet or tasteless, or everything will be in full consistency but you will not like granita. So there are two things you need to do.
First, taste the melon you use before adding sugar. If it tastes enough, you may not add any sugar or add more if necessary.
The second thing you should do is not try the recipe before understanding the recipe and the consistency that awaits you. This is not ice cream. This is not the iced drink. This is a dessert in the consistency of ice-snow. Try it if you think you will love it. Do this for every recipe you’ll try for the first time not to be disappointed. The higher the expectation is, the greater the disappointment is.
Enjoy the recipe…
- One melon weighing about 1 kg,
- 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Halve the melon and remove the seeds, slice and take into a deep bowl,
- Add the sugar and pulse with a hand blender until smooth,
- Pour the mixture into a flat container suitable for freezer and set aside in the freezer for 3 hours, taking off in every 45 minutes and mixing with a fork,
- After 3 hours, mix again with a fork and share into serving cups.