Galacoş is one of the exceptional flavors of Bayburt cuisine, which I am surprised that it has not spread to the general Turkish cuisine until today. In short, a mixture of garlic yogurt, boiled green lentils and ground beef is poured over the crispy bread pieces.
The most beautiful aspect of Galacoş is that it offers the opportunity to use stale bread and at the same time, a very fruitful meal is obtained by using very little ground beef. Now we can come to the taste. Like anything made with garlic yoghurt, galacoş is incredibly delicious. It is a very satisfying meal as it includes bread. If you do not eat meat, you can skip it, increase the amount of lentils and get a vegetarian and very tasty galacoş. You can even enrich the recipe by adding carrots or other seasonal vegetables, as in sauteed green lentil recipe.
You can use any bread you have on hand as a galacoş base. French baguettes, sliced bread sold in plastic bags, flatbread, lavash, etc. You can use all kinds of bread in making galacoş. When you chop them in the right size and fry them in the oven, they will all be suitable for galacoş to use.
Since hot and cold ingredients are used together in galacoş, it is not a suitable recipe to wait before serving. After combining the bread, garlic yoghurt and lentil mixture together, you should serve it immediately. If you want to keep the food waiting, it would be appropriate to wait for each layer separately.
Enjoy the recipe...
- 1 cup of green lentils,
- 150 g ground meat,
- 1 onion,
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste,
- Salt to taste,
- Black pepper,
- 5-6 tablespoons of olive oil,
- 2 cups of plain yogurt,
- 1 clove of garlic,
- 2 pita or bread rolls.
- Take the lentils in a sauce pan, add enough hot water to cover, cover the lid and boil until soft,
- In the meantime, chop the onion and stir fry it in the oil you have heated until softens,
- Add the ground beef and stir fry until it starts to brown,
- Add the tomato paste and stir fry until the smell comes out,
- Add the drained lentils and a few tablespoons of water and mix,
- Add salt, pepper and cumin, mix and remove from heat,
- Cut the pita into cubes, spread it on the baking tray and bake in the oven preheated to 180 C degrees until they become crispy,
- Whisk yogurt, crushed garlic and a little salt,
- Divide the pitas into the serving plates,
- Spread the garlic yogurt on them,
- Spread the lentil mixture on top,
- You can garnish with chopped parsley.