Beef Cannelloni Recipe
Cannelloni is one of the great tastes of Italian-Sicilian cuisine. It can be prepared in a more practical way, since it was originally prepared by wrapping the ground beef (or spinach and cheese mortar) with homemade lasagna leaves, but as store bought cannelonis came out over time just like store bought lasagna leaves, they can easily be prepared now. If you can't find cannelloni, you can use store bought lasagna sheets by softening them in water and wrapping them in the old fashioned way.
The spinach lasagna rolls that I shared before is actually prepared with a kind of spinach cannelloni and lasagna leaves. If you use lasagna sheets, you can follow that recipe. As with many local recipes, cannelloni has many preparation methods. I tried to prepare as practical a recipe as possible. For this, I did not use bechamel sauce, which some people use and some do not. If I have a chance to use an ingredient that I do not consider necessary in the lasagna recipe, of course, I would not use it.
If the tomato is delicious, it dominates the recipe with both its smell and taste. Cheese is enough to cover the dish. In this case, although the béchamel sauce will of course add flavor, it will cause an increase in calories rather than this contribution. If you still want to use it, half a measure of the sauce in the lasagna recipe will be enough. After pouring the tomato sauce over the pasta, you can pour the bechamel sauce and cheese on top of it and place it in the oven.
I didn't have a chance to use it because I prepared it unplanned during the photo and video shoot, but if you chop a few leaves of fresh basil in tomato sauce, you will add extra flavor to its taste.
Enjoy the recipe...
- 14 pieces of cannelloni pasta,
- 400 ml grated tomato,
- 1 cup of water,
- 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil,
For the minced mortar;
- 350 g of ground beef,
- 1 small onion,
- 1 brach of celery,
- 1 carrot,
- 4-5 tablespoons of olive oil,
- Black pepper,
- 1 egg.
- 150 g grated mozzarella or cheddar cheese,
- 2 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese.
- Chop the onion, carrot and celery into small pieces,
- Take olive oil and chopped vegetables in a large pan and stir fry them until they release their juices,
- Add the ground beef and stir fry until it releases its juice,
- Add salt and pepper, mix and remove from heat,
- After it cools a little bit, add the egg and mix quickly without letting it cook,
- Fill the ground beef mixture with a dessert spoon into the cannellonis and place the cannellonis in an appropriately sized baking dish,
- In a separate bowl, heat the olive oil, add the grated tomato and simmer for a few minutes after it starts to boil,
- Add water and salt, mix and simmer and remove from heat,
- Pour the sauce over the cannelloni,
- Mix the cheeses and sprinkle them on top,
- Bake in a preheated oven at 190 degrees until the cannellonis absorb the tomato sauce and softens.