Homemade Mascarpone Recipe
- 1 lt. heavy cream,
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice.
- Place the heavy cream in a large pot and bring it to a simmer, then remove from heat (do not let it boil),
- Stir in the lemon juice,
- Cover with paper towel and put the lid on (do not let the paper towel touch the cream),
- Let it sit at room temperature until it comes to room temperature,
- Remove the paper towel, put the lid back on and place the pot in the refrigerator overnight,
- Place a strainer lined with 4 layers of cheesecloth over an empty bowl,
- Add the cream, cover with plastic wrap, and place in the refrigerator, allowing the cream to strain out overnight,
- When finished straining, transfer the cheese to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator,
- Discard the whey,
- Use fresh mascarpone up within four days.