Güllaç With Strawberries and Pistachios
Güllaç is a must in Ramadan. Every year, I try to make classic Güllaç once and try a different kind of Güllaç once. I created the recipe for güllaç with strawberries and pistachios last Ramadan. Strawberry and pistachio are two ingredients that go very well with each other in terms of both color and taste. Especially when they come together in the whiteness of the güllaç, both its appearance and its taste are just perfect.
Last year, I prepared güllaç with strawberries and pistachios with homemade gullaç leaves. But you don't need to change the amount of milk since its consistency is the same as store bought gullaç. The Güllaç recipe that I prepared with homemade Güllaç leaves also removes the amount of milk I always use. That's why you can use the same amount of milk whether you use store bought leaves or make it yourself at home. If you live outside of Turkey, you can find güllaç leaves in Turkish food stores during Ramadan.
Can Extra Syrup Be Added to Güllaç Later?
If you want a gullaç floating in a lot of syrup, the amount of milk may be less for you. In this case, you can prepare an extra amount of syrup again and pour it over güllaç. Adding syrup later does not have a negative effect.
One of the most important flavoring agents of Güllac is rose water. But I know there are many people who don't like the aroma of rose water in their food. If you do not like to consume rose water as food, you can skip it. Just for the sake of tradition, don't use an ingredient you don't like that doesn't affect the consistency of the recipe only for flavoring.
Enjoy the recipe...
- 200 g of gullac leaves,
- 1 liter of milk
- 1 cup of sugar,
- 1 cup of ground pistachios,
- 1 soup bowl of strawberries,
- 1 tablespoon of rose water,
- Ground vanilla with the tip of the knife,
- 2 tiny pieces of mastic gum.
- Take the milk into a sauce pan,
- Add sugar, rose water, vanilla and crushed and powdered mastic gum and mix,
- Take the pan on the stove and heat on medium heat without letting it boil (you can take it off the fire when the steam starts to smoke),
- Break 1/3 of the güllaç leaves and arrange them in a small baking dish where güllaç leaves can fit, and pour milk over them with a ladle in each row,
- Sprinkle pistachios on them,
- Arrange half of the remaining leaves in the same way and pour syrup over,
- Arrange the sliced strawberries on top,
- Lay the remaining leaves in the same way and pour the remaining syrup over,
- Cover and rest for 30 minutes-1 hour,
- Garnish with sliced strawberries and serve.