Cocoa Sponge Cake Recipe
Although the cocoa sponge cake is made exactly the same as the plain sponge cake, except for the addition of cocoa powder, it is a little more difficult to get the right consistency. It is more likely to deflate the dough, as it takes a little more mixing to feed the cocoa powder into the dough mixture. Therefore, it is necessary to act more carefully than in plain sponge cake.
First of all, it is useful to underline that sponge cake dough, including plain sponge cake, does not contain any rising agent. The dough stands up thanks to the egg whites. For this reason, it is very important that the egg whites are well fluffed and then not deflated while mixing with other ingredients.
To do this, you must make sure that the egg whites are not contaminated with egg yolk and that the mixing bowl is not wet. It is helpful to use a narrow and deep mixing container to firm the egg whites. Egg whites will have a stronger consistency in a shorter time, as they will be whipped into the bowl as well as the whipping process. Adding a pinch of salt to egg whites also contributes to its consistency. After the egg whites have risen, adding the sugar and whisking until the sugar dissolves also strengthens the consistency of the egg whites.
It is quite easy to combine egg yolks with egg whites. The main challenge is to feed the dry ingredients into this mixture. While doing this, it is necessary to sift the dry ingredients and add them gradually, and mix the dough in the same direction with the spatula (it should not be whipped). Another way to do this is to mix the dry ingredients with the egg yolks first to get a thick paste and mix it with the egg whites. There is no difference in terms of the result it gives. You can use whichever method is convenient for you.
Enjoy the recipe...
- 3 eggs (yolks and whites separated),
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar,
- 1/2 cup of flour,
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch,
- 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder,
- A sprinkle of salt
- Beat the egg whites using an electric mixer until you get stiff peaks,
- Add the sugar and beat a little more,
- In a separate bowl whisk the egg yolks,
- Add the egg yolks into the egg whites gradually and fold and mix using a spatula,
- Add flour, cornstarch and cocoa powder,
- Fold trying not to deflate the egg whites until you get a smooth batter,
- Pour into a greased springform pan,
- Bake in a 180 degrees celsius preheated until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.