Chinese Eggplant With Garlic Sauce
Eggplant with garlic sauce is a delicious vegan recipe from Chinese cuisine. The best feature is that it tastes like fried but cooked with little oil. Eggplants are covered with starch before they are cooked. This process ensures that the eggplants are cooked without falling apart, even though they are mixed while cooking.
Eggplants are fried and cooked in little oil with the support of starch. Cooked eggplants are set aside and this time the sauce is prepared. The sauce is quite similar to the general tso chicken sauce. Just a little too much garlic.
Since soy sauce is used in abundance in the recipe, no extra salt is added. But if you are going to use low sodium soy sauce you will need to add salt. Classic soy sauce is a very salty sauce by nature and there is no need to use salt in recipes using soy sauce. When using low sodium (low salt) soy sauces that started to be produced in recent years, it is important to remember to add salt to the recipe.
Ginger is one of the ingredients used as a flavoring in the sauce of the eggplant with garlic sauce recipe. I'm not a ginger freak, but I like to feel the flavor in these kind of sauces. You may still not like it. If you don't like it, it's better not to use it at all than to do something you don't like. You don't have to use anything instead.
You don't have to serve the eggplant with garlic sauce as soon as you cook it, but it will have a better consistency this way. Not suitable for freezing.
Enjoy the recipe...
- 3 eggplants,
- 1 heaping tablespoon of corn starch,
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil.
For the sauce;
- 2 cloves of garlic,
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger or finely chopped fresh ginger,
- 1 teaspoon of paprika,
- 1/4 cup of soy sauce,
- 1 teaspoon of sugar,
- 1 cup of water at room temperature,
- 1 teaspoon of corn starch,
- 5-6 tablespoons of olive oil,
- a pinch of chopped parsley,
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds.
- Peel the eggplants and cut them in finger size,
- Sprinkle corn starch over and mix,
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan and add the eggplants covered with corn starch,
- Cook on high heat, stirring constantly, until the eggplants are browned and soft,
- Take the eggplants in a separate bowl,
- Heat 5-6 tablespoons of olive oil in the same pan,
- Add the finely chopped garlic and ginger and mix,
- Add paprika and mix,
- Add soy sauce, water, sugar and corn starch, mix and cook until thickened,
- Add the eggplants, mix and cook until the water is absorbed,
- Take it to the serving plate,
- Serve sprinkled with chopped parsley and sesame seeds.
Enjoy your meal...