Today I have a delicious vegetable dish with just few ingredients. I started to consume beet greens more often after moving to Spain. Because the most fresh leaves I can find are them. Spinach is mostly sold in bags. In Turkey they are sold in bunches. I find it more fresh and I can not enjoy to cook the spinach I do not wash for hours:)
Instead, I take a large beet greens bundle, wash and use it. There is also a unique aroma of the beet greens like spinach. For example, the chards don’t have a unique aroma. But the beet greens have. It’s close to beetroot, but it’s different. I don’t even use tomato paste not to cover this nice taste.
Using this method, I also cook this recipe with rice or buckwheat. They’re all tasteful. You can use whichever you like, using the same amount as bulgur.
It’s really simple but when you serve it with plain yogurt and pepper flakes, it becomes a festive meal.
Enjoy the recipe…
- A bunch of beet greens, chopped,
- 1 onion,
- 1/2 cup thick bulgur,
- 3-5 tablespoons olive oil,
- Roast the onion in the olive oil until it is soft,
- Add the beet greens,
- Cover the lid and cook until soft,
- Add and mix the washed and drained bulgur,
- Cover the lid and cook until bulgur is soft,
- Add the salt and stir and remove from the heat.
Bon appetit …