Baked Sutlac (Turkish-Style Rice Pudding) Recipe
After I promised that I would publish a recipe yesterday, I thought it would not suit me to not keep it, so I decided to squeeze this recipe in between.
In my first attempts, I boiled the rice with water and then put it into the milk. You can do it that way, if it's easier for you. When it is cooked with milk, it needs to be stirred very often so it won't to stick and burn. But when the rice is cooked in milk, its starch also passes into the milk and its consistency thickens a little before adding the rice flour. When rice flour is added, it gets the perfect consistency.
Is Starch Used in Rice Pudding?
Some people are doing it. But this method is not proper and the consistency obtained with starch is not the consistency of rice pudding, but the consistency of pudding. In the original, rice pudding thickens only with rice, not even rice flour is used, but whether you call it easy or guarantee consistency, I add rice flour and I think it is the best consistency it can be.
Sugar Amount of Rice Pudding
I use 1 cup of sugar. It's a little bit more sugary than I normally like. But some recipes require this and rice pudding is one of them. With 3/4 cup of sugar, it is exactly at the level of sugar that I want, but this time the flavor of the rice pudding does not fully settle. Keep in mind, you can reduce the amount of sugar according to your taste, but this will affect the taste.
Baked Sutlac (Turkish-Style Rice Pudding) Recipe with Video
- 5 cups + 2 cups whole milk,
- 1/4 cup rice,
- 1 cup sugar,
- 3 tablespoons rice flour,
- 1 egg yolk.
- Add 5 cups of whole milk and 1/2 cup of rice into a pot,
- Cook on low heat stirring frequently until the rice is soft,
- Add the sugar and stir,
- Dissolve the rice flour in 1 cup of milk,
- Add this to the pot slowly while whisking,
- Continue stirring until the pudding thickens,
- Remove from heat and add the egg yolk into the pudding while whisking,
- Distribute the pudding among oven-safe ramekins,
- Place the ramekins in a baking dish filled with water to create a water bath,
- Place the baking dish on high rack in the oven,
- Bake at 210 degrees Celsius until the top turns brown.