Baked Beans With Pastrami
For today I have chosen a baked bean recipe that has become my favorite this winter. In fact, baked beans with pastrami or sucuk (Turkish beef sausages) and even beans with beef have never been my first choice. Plain, normal beans we know of had always been my favorites. Until I tried this recipe ...
It's not just pastrami what makes the recipe more delicious than the regular dried beans. This is the result of baking (not cooking) the beans together with pastrami, green peppers and tomatoes.
Concerning the preparation process be sure to pay attention to soak the beans overnight with boiling water, preheat the oven (until the light or sign indicator goes out) and tightly cover the casserole / stew. If the evaporation is too high, the beans will run out of water before cooking, and no matter how long you keep them in the oven, the beans will never soften.
You may not be using pepper and tomatoes, which are summer vegetables, in winter. You can use frozen peppers and canned tomatoes. In recipes where you use canned tomatoes instead of fresh tomatoes, it is enough to use half a cup of canned tomato instead of 1 fresh tomato.
Enjoy the recipe...
- 2 cup dried beans,
- 1 onion,
- 1 green pepper,
- 1 tomato,
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste,
- 1 tsp sweet chilli,
- 3-4 tablespoons of oil,
- 1 tablespoon butter,
- 5-6 slices of pastrami.
- Wash and drain the beans,
- Soak with boiling water overnight,
- The next day, heat the oil in a pan and add the chopped onion,
- After the onions are semi cooked, add the chopped pepper,
- Once both are softened, add the tomato paste and stir fry until smells good,
- Add chilli and mix,
- Add the chopped tomatoes, stir fry until tender and remove from heat,
- Put the mixture into a casserole,
- Add the beans and boiling passing over three fingers,
- Cover the lid and bake in a preheated oven at 200 degrees for 1.5 hours (check the beans, you can bake a little more if necessary),
- Melt the butter in a pan, add the pastrami slices and cook both sides,
- Take the casserole from the oven, add salt and stir,
- Add the pastrami together with the butter,
- Bake uncovered at the same heat for 15 mins. more.