Sakallı Poğaça Recipe
Sakallı poğaça means bearded pastry and it is an indispensable element of small neighborhood bakeries. If I am not mistaken, it is also called fringed pastry. It is made by spreading cream cheese in the middle of a nice, soft yeast pastry and cover the edges with cheddar cheese or parsley.
In the pastry, I used the yeast pastry recipe that I have used most recently. It does not contain butter. In this respect, it has relatively less calories and it is prepared faster because you don't spend time waiting butter to reach room temperature.
As cream cheese, you can use any store bought cream cheese or mascarpone cheese you like, or if you don't have cream cheese at hand.
If you do not like parsley or you do not have it at hand, you can use dill or make it all with cheddar cheese.
- 1 cup of luke warm milk,
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil,
- 1 egg (the yolk for topping),
- 1 tsp instant yeast,
- 1 tbsp of sugar,
- 1 teaspoon salt,
- 3-3.5 cups of flour,
- 200 g cream cheese,
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese,
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley.
- Mix milk, sugar and yeast in a deep bowl,
- Add oil and egg white and mix,
- Add the flour part by part and start kneading,
- Add salt in half of the flour,
- Add the remaining flour little by little, controlling the consistency of the dough, add as much as needed and knead until you reach a soft dough that does not stick to the hand,
- Cover and rest for 45 minutes until doubles in size,
- Knead the dough again, make walnut-sized pieces and roll them and place them into a baking tray covered with wax paper,
- Cover them and rest for 20 min. more,
- Bake in the pre-heated oven at 180 degrees until they are golden,
- Remove from the oven and wait for them to cool down,
- Cut them into half without tearing them off completely, and spread cream cheese in between, and cover the cheese part with chopped parsley or grated cheddar cheese.
Enjoy your meal...