Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies
In recipes where you use lemon or orange peels, when grating the peels, you should only grate the colored parts and stop when you come to the white parts below. Since these parts are bitter, it will make the dessert, cake or cookie you make bitter. You should use neither the coarsest nor the thinnest side of the grater to grate. Since the thickest part will take the lemon peel very deep, it will cause both the grater to be thick and the white part that I mentioned before to mix with the grater. When you make it with the thinnest part, most of the shells will remain on the grater. In short, a medium-thick grater will give the best performance for grating the crust.
If corn or wheat is not specified in the recipes using starch, you can use both, the result will not change. By poppy seeds, we mean the tiny seeds that we sprinkle on pastries or pastries, which are sold as blue poppy seeds in spice aisles. You cannot use the poppy that you use in making poppy buns for this cookie.
Powdered sugar sprinkled on the cookie gives the sugar. Don't panic if you taste the cookies you just took out of the oven and they're sugar-free.
Dust the icing sugar as soon as it comes out of the oven so that it adheres well to the cookies. Don't worry it won't melt because the cooking temperature is low.
Enjoy the recipe...
- 150g of butter at room temperature,
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil,
- 1/2 cup of powdered sugar,
- 1/2 cup of starch,
- 2,5 cups of flour,
- Peels of 2 lemons,
- 2 tbsps of poppy seeds,
- Powdered sugar for the top.
- Whisk together the butter, vegetable oil and powdered sugar,
- Add the starch while mixing with your hands,
- Add flour slowly and start to knead,
- Add lemon peels and poppy seeds,
- Knead until you reach a soft cookie dough consistency,
- Form walnut size round balls from the dough and press with your palm to flatten them a little,
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment,
- Bake at 160 degrees celsius preheated oven for 10 mins,
- Turn off the oven and wait for 6-7 mins. before removing the cookies,
- After 6-7 mins. remove from the oven and sprinkle a generous amount of powdered sugar on top.