I love eating tarts and pies because of their flaky buttery crust. I generally make the crust from scratch at home, using the regular pie crust ingredients: flour, butter, eggs… But this time, I took the easy route and made a biscuit crust instead. It was delicious. If someone had offered me a slice of this tart and didn’t mention that the crust was made from biscuits, I would not be able to tell the difference, trust me on this.
I made the tart in a 19 cm small springform pan. It serves 4-6 people depending on how much they will eat. If you want to make it for more people, simply increase the ingredient amounts and bake it in a larger pan. But I must tell that this is a very dense and rich dessert, so just a small slice is enough to satisfy any sweet craving.
For the crust;
- 100 gr. graham crackers / digestive biscuit,
- 85 gr. butter,
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder.
For the filling;
- 200 gr. chocolate,
- 100 gr. butter,
- 3 tablespoons milk,
- 2 eggs,
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar,
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder,
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Grind the biscuits in a food processor and mix with cocoa powder,
- Melt the butter and add to the biscuits,
- Mix well with your hands,
- Line your springform pan with parchment paper,
- Grease the top of the parchment paper and the sides of the pan with butter,
- Lay the biscuits on the bottom of the pan and press with your hands,
- Bake the crust in a 170 degrees Celsius oven for 15 mins,
- For the filling, melt together the butter and chocolate in the microwave and add milk,
- In a separate bowl cream together the egg and sugar,
- Add the cocoa and vanilla extract, then keep mixing until you get a smooth mixture,
- Add the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and whisk 2 more mins,
- Pour this mixture into the cooled crust,
- Tap the pan onto the kitchen counter to get rid of any air bubbles,
- Bake in a 170 degrees Celsius oven for 20 mins,
- Remove from oven and let it cool down to room temperature,
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours,
- Sprinkle some cocoa powder on top, slice and serve.