Canned Apples Recipe
I thought of this idea at a time when I had more apples on hand than we could consume before they go bad. I am well aware that apples can easily be found throughout winter and even other seasons, but these will come handy for whenever I want to make apple pie or apple cake in no time without the hassle of peeling and cutting tons of apples. WIth the ingredient amounts below, I was able to fill 3 glass canning jars. I also had half a jar worth of excess which I used to make a refreshing apple compote by diluting it with some cold water in a glass water jug. If you love apples like I do, you will love this recipe.
- 3 kg granny smith apples,
- 4 cups granulated sugar,
- 2 lt. water,
- Juice of half a lemon.
- Prepare some salted water in a large bowl that can fit all the apples,
- Peel, core and cut the apples into small chunks and place them immediately in the salted water to sit while you continue peeling and cutting,
- After you cut all the apples, rinse them well with water to get rid of the salt,
- Place them in a pot along with 2 lt. of water and 4 cups of sugar, and cook over medium heat stirring constantly until the sugar dissolves,
- Once it starts boiling, cook until the apples turn light brown,
- Add the lemon juice and stir well,
- Scoop the mixture into the jars,
- Seal the jars tight,
- Place the jars into a pressure canner or pressure cooker and cover with hot water,
- Cover the lid and cook for 3-5 mins after the steam comes out,
- Remove the jars from water and dry with a towel,
- Turn the jars upside down and set aside overnight,
- Keep in a cool place away from sun.